Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (generally known as PCOS) has become a common disease in most women. PCOS happens due to the hormonal imbalance which further leads to the evolution of fluid-filled sacs on the ovaries. There are various side effects and disadvantages of PCOS on the body. Very basic and common symptoms include uneven or missed periods, loss of hair, surplus growth of hair, acne, obesity, depression and fertility problems.
PCOS affects health in thousands of ways and it also increases the risk of various diseases like type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity in the women. Unfortunately, there is no authenticate therapy for PCOS. But with the proper dietary intervention and healthy lifestyle changes a woman can cure this problem and beat its symptoms in some time. As diet is one of the crucial factors in treating the symptoms of PCOS, today we bring you some of the healthy foods that can help you in saying a big bye to PCOS while giving you a happy and healthy body from both inside and outside.
As per the best dietitian in Delhi, here are some great foods that you can add in your diet to effectively meet the nutritional needs of a woman while promoting decent insulin levels and help in fighting off with the PCOS.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has been proved beneficial on the health from ages. Cinnamon has great medicinal properties and is also filled with antioxidants that can help in improvising the insulin sensitivity. (Insulin resistance is known as the major cause of PCOS). Consuming cinnamon on a daily basis helps in minimizing the Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) a well-known factor that plays in the occurrence of PCOS. You can consume cinnamon tea empty stomach in the morning and at night for effective results. Other than this, cinnamon is packed with great anti-inflammatory properties and lowers blood sugar levels if you stand by to its proper consumption.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds (also known as methi)are considered as effective in relieving out the symptoms of PCOS. Fenugreek seeds are packed with great nutrients and assist in sustaining the standard levels of insulin. Not only this, it further lowers down the blood sugar levels and soothes any kind of aches in the body. Another great advantage of methi is- it boosts the tolerance of glucose in the body which is quite effective in losing weight. All you have to do is soak some methi seeds in the water overnight and consume it empty stomach and prior to your lunch and dinner. If will definitely help in curing your PCOS while making your overall body happy and healthy.
- Barley: Barley is considered as one of the nutritious food in India. Various doctors suggest that consuming barley in PCOS can help in treating its symptoms while saving the body from its negative impacts. Barley has the lowest Glycaemic Index (GI) as compared to different types of grains. This quality of barley makes it a perfect option for women dealing with PCOS. Due to the low-GI carbs present in barley, it takes a lot of time to digest properly which further is beneficial and only give a slow rise in the levels of insulin and blood glucose. You can consume barley in the form of porridge, soup, and pancakes. It will add up to your taste buds while easing out the symptoms of PCOS.
- Flax seeds: Seeds are known as the house of many nutrients. Flax seeds are packed with Omega -3 fatty acids and Lignan, which are responsible for dropping the levels of androgen. Proper consumption of flaxseed can decrease your testosterone levels while improvising your lipid profile, both of these factors are significant in managing the symptoms of PCOS. You can consume it as raw or can add it in your smoothies, salads or soups to enhance its effects on the body.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits are one of the best foods that can help in combatting the symptoms of PCOS. The fresh and juicy citrus fruits not only add great colour to your plate but also treat the conditions of PCOS by giving a great regulate to your periods. Citrusy fruits are packed with fibre and Vitamins which have the capacity to normalise your hormonal imbalance. Add fruits like oranges, lime, kiwi, berries and grapes in your diet for a great relaxation in PCOS.
- Chia seeds: Seeds are well known for its various advantages. It is packed with dietary fibre, antioxidants, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids that are very helpful in managing the PCOS. Regular consumption of chia seeds gives you good carbs while lowering down your blood sugar levels. Chia seeds also lower down your insulin levels which is quintessential in combatting the symptoms of PCOS. You can soak chia seeds in water for about 20-30 minutes and then consume it regularly for great results.
Every one in third women is suffering from PCOS and it requires proper attention and special care in order to save the body from other thousands of diseases and problems. Above written food will definitely help you in getting rid of the symptoms of PCOS with time. You can also do certain lifestyle changes like weight loss, cut out processed and refined foods from the diet and exercise for effective results. For more instant and actual results, you can also seek the advice of best dietitian for PCOS in Delhi.